Amid concerns of the coronavirus, event organizers have officially cancelled this year’s Mobile World Congress event.
Organized by the GSM Association (GSMA) and set to take place in Barcelona from February 24 to February 27, the event had been in a state of uncertainty for some time with many of the major vendors already pulling out.
The GSMA released an official statement from its CEO explaining their rationale for the decision.
“With due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona and the host country today, the GSMA has cancelled MWC Barcelona 2020 because the global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern and other circumstances, make it impossible for the GSMA to hold the event,” said John Hoffman in his statement. “The Host City Parties respect and understand this decision. The GSMA and the Host City Parties will continue to be working in unison and supporting each other for MWC Barcelona 2021 and future editions. Our sympathies at this time are with those affected in China, and all around the world.”
Shortly before the official cancellation, Barcelona’s mayor Ada Colau said that the city was “perfectly prepared” for Mobile World Congress to take place and that there was “no reason whatsoever” to apply emergency measures, according to a story from Spanish outlet La Vanguardia.
Create a Unique Selling Proposition for Your Global Market